Friday, October 21, 2011

Music Popularity

In Bjorn Carey’s article The Science of Hit Songs, the reasons that make songs popular is discussed. In a recent study, researchers have found that songs that have been downloaded more were selected more often, but popular songs were popular no matter what, as with unpopular songs. They also concluded that when people are faced with too many choices, they choose what is popular to listen to because of lack of time.

I agree that some people do listen to music because it is popular and their friends are listening to it. I don’t think that this is necessarily because they just want to listen to what their friends are listening to just to fit in, but because it actually is a good song, which is the reason that it is popular. On the other hand, I feel like some people don't care much about music so they just listen to whatever is popular. I agree that when people are faced with too many options, they will just listen to what is popular. I know that when I first hear of an artist, I will look them up on Youtube or iTunes and find their most popular songs and listen to them. If I really like the artist then I will spend more time looking for songs by them that may not be as popular but I still enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment